Friday 23 December 2011

The Countdown Is On

It's down to the wire. One more sleep until Christmas Eve and only two more sleeps until Christmas morning. I know this not only because I love Christmas but because my kids won't let me forget it either. There is one chocolate left in the Calendar and only one number left on the countdown. I know it's the same time every year and as cliche as it sounds I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S CHRISTMAS ALREADY!!!!

I still have a small list of things we need to do. Basically some laundry and tidying up the house. There are still a few present to wrap and other than that I am all set. I am a lucky duck that going to my parents' farm means not worrying about cooking, baking or hosting. Don't get me wrong, I help out when I'm there, we all do, but the big planning goes to my mum every year. She has a system. We don't mess with it.

Tomorrow morning will be spent doing the packing. That in itself is a major feat. I really don't know how we will get everything to the farm. Just listing it sounds crazy: three kids, 2 adults, mountains of gifts, 2-3 suitcases, a dog, laptop, random technology and countless other things I need a list to keep track of. Really is that it? I think I'm missing a partridge in a pear tree or a few lords a leaping.

I "plan" to have everything ready to get into the van in the afternoon. I have scoped out the best Mass time to be 4:00 pm at a Parish close by so we will get ourselves to that. After Mass operation pack the van commences and then upon completion we will begin the journey to Christmas Magic Wonderland (a.k.a. the farm).

So many goodies await us. Sweets treats. Savoury bites. For those who like to indulge, some home made liquid libations. Christmas Eve courtesy of my mum will be fabulous and I really can't wait. That is when our family magic really begins. There will be much laughter, singing and joking.

The kiddies will get into their new Christmas jammies, open their small Christmas Eve gift and of course leave out cookies and milk for Santa. Since our family is getting bigger my childhood room does not fit us five well so this year we will hunker down into the basement to get a good sleep before the wrapping paper carnage the next morning.

This is how it goes every year. I wouldn't change a bit of it. It's tradition.

I am especially excited because my older sister is home this year for the holiday. Last year was the first year she was gone and her presence was definitely missed. My sisters and I are like a trifecta of fun and when a piece is missing you feel it. I am so happy she is home.

I love Christmas and I love my family. Spending it together is the epitome of happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment