Tuesday 3 January 2012

That Closed Door Opened a Window

I'm sure you have heard the phrase "when one door closes and another window opens". There are a few variations of this phrase but they all mean the same thing. It's a phrase meant to pick you up when things go south. It is a way of looking towards the future after an upset in your past or present. In some ways it means that there are opportunities waiting in the wings that would otherwise be inaccessible if the door had remained open.

If there is one thing I am it would be upbeat and positive. I am always looking for that silver lining in a dark cloud and it usually doesn't take me long to find it. I may feel guilty about it but at times I can be gripped more by the happiness and excitement of the opened window than the grief and sadness of a closed door.

Perhaps one of the reasons that I can be so optimistic is that I know my life is only partially in my hands. The rest is up to fate, the Lord and the big wide universe. There is only so much I can do. My job is to make the best of what is handed to me. It is my faith in God and my faith in, well, faith itself that keeps me going.

With all that said I do have dark days. It's not happy happy all the time. Sometimes the rain melts away the sunshine and lollipops. I just rest assured though that when I open the window when I'm ready the light will shine brighter than before.

Having had a recent upset in my path I am using all my positive thinking to keep my eyes ahead on the big open road of life. I've always found writing to be cathartic and healing. Pain can make great poetry. Here is a little something I wrote recently. It still exists only as words but I have a melody forming in my mind to accompany it.

Ebb and flow baby
That's how life goes
Things come in
People go out
Life is one big show

Just like the tides baby
In and out they go
People leave
Leave for where
For places still unknown

The sun and moon baby
Always setting but never gone
Like angels watching
Lives unfolding
Life goes on life goes on

Yes it does. Life continues. Generations form. Families change. Babies are born and people pass. You can't change it or stop it even if you tried. If you have a similar faith to mine you can be content in knowing that while physical life has an ending the spirit goes on, and on, and on and on.....

Life and Love and Hope. THAT makes me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment